I went to another local conference: SheCon, the New Media Expo. While it wasn’t solely for women, it was great meeting so many female bloggers and business owners making a living online.
Let’s not forget some great speakers, including…
- Guy Kawasaki, who spoke about the art of enchantment, the subject of his new book
- Aliza Sherman, who definitely knows how to enchant and who spoke about the future of technology
- Missy Ward, who offered a ton of affiliate marketing advice and a few free tickets to Affiliate Summit, the conference she co-founded
- Mark Horvath, who inspired us (and almost made me cry) with his story about how his InvisiblePeople.tv has helped the homeless
- Many other session speakers who spoke about writing, marketing, monetization, PR, social media and more
A few of my favorite tips…
- “Sell your dream.” Steve Jobs doesn’t sell the iPhone by talking about software, service, etc. He sells the dream. – Guy Kawasaki
- I see Twitter as a “link economy” and Facebook as a “photo economy.” I push with links on Twitter and pull with photos on Facebook. – Guy Kawasaki
- Remove speed bumps that will hamper the buying process. Captcha forms, for example, are a good way to lose customers from your site. – Guy Kawasaki
- Add personality to your blog. – Karen of KouponKaren.com
- Videos and video blogging can help you gain visibility in Google. Optimize your videos to appear in Google results. – Murray Izenwasser of Biztegra
- Authenticity has replaced production value when it comes to video online. – Mark Horvath
- Enhance the visitor’s experience. Don’t use something because it’s trendy. Add something more. – Aliza Sherman
- Blogger reliability is an issue for sponsor companies that work with blogs. Make sure you follow through on your commitments to them. – Stephanie Azzarone of Mom Market Trends
- The keys to getting more social clicks: a good headline, a good thumbnail image and the time of day posted. – Founders of Cracked.com
The networking was fun too and was spiced with stories from the out-of-town ladies about singing Karaoke with Serena Williams and taking photos of a Lindsay Lohan photoshoot. Only in South Beach!
I had fun SheCon. Thanks!
Missy Ward says
Thank you so much for the mention and for getting up early for my session!
It was worth the early wake-up call 🙂 Thanks for a great presentation. I’m already looking into using some of your tips!